Call Tracking: Nature, Mechanism and Applicability
What is Call tracking?
Call tracking is a function, system or service of analytics that replaces numbers on the site, depending on the channel of client attraction. Analytics allows you to calculate and evaluate the quality of telephone leads.
Call tracking is primarily used by advertising agencies to count performance results and the most advanced companies for analyzing and developing customer sources. The tracking of a call is such a thing, which when used correctly gives:
- Calculate ROI and evaluate the effectiveness of advertising channels;
- To estimate expenses for attraction and service of the client;
- Optimize the marketing budget;
- Control the quality of the work of administrators and managers.
Call tracking is difficult to attribute to one industry – it is at the junction of communication, analytics, and marketing. Some improve telephone services and use the experience of telecom operators. Others pose on analytics and copy systems with a lot of data and graphs. Still, others emphasize the preservation of the leads; we are in Callibri going along this path.
How did the service appear?
In 2013, I realized that agencies can not conveniently and reliably calculate the quality of their work, and the company – the real effectiveness of sources of attracting customers. In the real sector, Lidas come on the phone, where Metrics and Analytics are powerless. After searching on the Internet, I came to the conclusion that potential competitors develop dynamic count tracking, there is no decent solution for static either in Yekaterinburg or in Russia.
At that time, I had a staff of developers and competencies in all three industries: I have a share in the telecoms business and in the online advertising agency. So the service appeared.
What tasks are solved by the count-tracking?
Initially, we assumed that customers already use virtual PBX and call processing scripts in working and non-working hours – that’s why we will take up analytics and marketing. It turned out exactly the opposite. The scale of the application of the automatic telephone exchange is extremely small, and we had to close all aspects of sales by phone so that not a single leader gets lost.
After counting the number of calls, we saw a low quality. Just think: on average, 39% of calls were not answered!
Having launched the system for calculating and analyzing calls from the site, we were sure that it would satisfy and please everyone: both the advertising agencies and the customers who buy it. But after counting the number of calls, we saw a low quality. Just think: on average, 39% of calls were not answered! Sometimes the figure reached 70%.
What is the use of fighting over the conversion of a banner to hundredths of a percent, if half of the leads merge due to an unsuccessful tube? The remaining calls are answered in such a way that it becomes a pity for customers to service as in a “jeck”. Therefore, we help customers improve the quality of calls and added options:
- SMS notifications about missed calls;
- PBX functions for saving leads: an answering machine, time rules;
- To organize a large number of calls – statuses and comments;
- Internal CRM for keeping history by number, defining region and saving comments;
- Access to conversation records.
Why “dead customers”?
Because in some cases, potential clients will not be talked and they will “die”. Kol-tracking does not solve the problem for the company. If they call, but you do not answer (the phone is busy, the manager is away, no one is picking up) – then the count-tracking will not help. But he will tell you how many calls he missed, where the customers came from and how much they cost.
In some cases, potential customers will not be talked and they will “die”.
If you invest in the channel and do not get calls from it – count-tracking does not fix it and will not lead customers. But it will also show other weak points, and hence – opportunities for optimization.
How is everything arranged inside?
There are two fundamentally different types of count tracking: static (classical) and dynamic. I will explain how both technologies work:
The client determines which channels to read and buys / rents for each tracking number. Different systems give different opportunities for the formation of advertising channels. We use three parameters that can be linked:
- With which UTM-tag the user has come;
- From which site;
- From which city/region.
A user in Moscow from advertising on facebook and a user from Yekaterinburg who clicked on the banner on the city portal E1.RU, the service will show different numbers.
- The statistics on the advertising channel is 100% true;
- It is easy to calculate its value.
- It is impossible to overplay the conditions for the collection and analysis of statistics after the fact;
- With a large number of channels with little traffic, statistics will be expensive. True, it depends on the client’s business.
- Static counting is done by us and the Target Call in Yandex. The latter shows only the quantity does not store records and does not distinguish between unique numbers.
Most services use dynamic count-tracking. In an ideal world: unique user – unique number. In fact, it works differently. The service calculates the average session time and the number of visits and determines the number of Allocated numbers.
In an ideal world: unique user – unique number. In fact, it works differently.
For example, for a site with 1000 users per day and a session in three minutes will offer three numbers.
- The first visitor of the site will be shown number 1;
- The second – number 2, the third – number 3;
- If the fourth one comes earlier than three minutes from the first visit, he will also see the number 3;
- The same with the fifth, sixth, seventh and so on;
- The number will be released for others after the end of the three-minute session of the first user.
If the visitor calls for the fourth minute, he will write down the number and call back later or call the fourth/fifth / sixth – the statistics will be incorrect. In addition, some services on basic tariffs allocate a common pool of numbers: now the phone is on your site, and after three minutes on someone else’s.
- The ability to associate a call with a key request;
- Analysis of the picture of calls from the site and the creation of different reports after the fact.
- Low accuracy;
- It is difficult to calculate the final cost of tracking;
- Delay when the number is changed.
What type to choose?
We work with static count tracking, it is preferred in agencies – it is easy to include the service in your own offer. It is understandable and with one price in 64 cities, we do not count anything for a minute or SMS.
Dynamic count-tracking is relevant on sites with a high attendance. This is B2B and B2C sales, there is an average check – tens of thousands of rubles, we have an order of magnitude lower. Dynamic would be a cool tool, if not for the limitation in the number of rooms.
What’s wrong with the dynamics?
It is necessary for each user to show a unique number and within a few days, not three minutes. Before you do dynamic count tracking, you need to fix the flaws.
Are people ready to enter internal numbers? If you apply the approach ubiquitously, it will.
I see two options:
- Fantastic: negotiate with a large operator to use all numbers.
- Show internal (extension) numbers.
Internal numbers – a smart solution in terms of architecture. On a site with attendance of several hundred people, each leader is shown one phone number and three-digit extension code. This will cost as one channel, but will give full and accurate statistics for all calls. True, there is a human factor – are people ready to introduce internal numbers? If you apply the approach ubiquitously, it will.
What is the future of count tracking?
We have closed most of the needs for static count tracking. Now we are working on the dynamic. Most likely, it will be another product – too many differences.
But this day is today. It is more interesting what is waiting for tomorrow. We develop two ways to analyze the conversation records:
Recognition of the mood of the speaker. Customers will be able to sort the calls with angry speech and correct the situation!
Recognition of words. You can find on request “bearing no 204” records, where they requested an unreadable product. Also, we make bases of abusive and laudatory words to highlight potentially problematic records.